Promote advanced learning and education in the energy sector
To be in compliance with our ITAR status, the candidate must be a US Person, or a lawful permanent resident (as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(20)), or a protected individual (as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)).
The Battery Innovation Center (BIC) is seeking a qualified, innovation-focused, materials scientist to join our team. The ideal candidate must have the desire to work in a fast paced, flexible work environment with the willingness to apply their skills and expertise to all facets of the battery design and development process. The candidate will directly interface will all individuals in the organization as well as externally with our clients. The BIC offers competitive pay, paid time-off, health/dental/vision/ benefits, and a SIMPLE IRA.
As part of a small, passionate, and accomplished team of experts, this position involves close collaboration with engineers and scientists across the nation and world-wide to support the commercialization of novel energy storage systems and solutions. On a daily basis, you will work with various advanced/experimental materials, inspect and prepare equipment, identify and address testing constraints, and process and examine data. The job entails hands-on work across battery manufacturing processes, with electrodes starting from their powder components to building and testing cells. As a project lead of new design and development efforts, this position will directly impact the future of energy storage and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and reliable batteries.
- Research, identify, design, and analyze advanced battery products through testing, validation, and reporting
- Interact directly with clients to understand their needs and translate these into viable products
- Provide direction for product development, material evaluations, and battery applications
- Analyze data and apply conclusions to iteratively develop experimental design
- Work independently and efficiently to meet deliverables within timeline and budgetary constraints
- Support the innovation, growth, education, and outreach of the BIC and our respective partners
- Minimum of MS degree in Materials Science, Chemistry, or related STEM discipline
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a battery research laboratory/manufacturing facility
- Technical expertise in electrochemistry, thermodynamics, structure-function, and transport phenomena for new battery technologies
- Hands-on expertise in powder processing, rheology, and formulation development
- Understanding of materials and their interactions (e.g. carbons, polymers, ceramics, metal oxides, surfactants, solvents, additives, electrolytes, etc.)
- Experience with the use of laboratory equipment and materials characterization equipment
- Strong technical report writing, presentation, and oral communications skills
- Excellent communication, prioritization, versatility, attention to detail, record keeping, management, and organizational skillsets
- Strong interest in quickly learning and applying new skills
- Ability to apply research and statistical analysis techniques to make sound, data-driven conclusions
- 5+ years of experience in a battery research laboratory/manufacturing facility
- Exceptional knowledge of electrochemical testing methods and including but not limited to lithium-ion battery technology
- Deep understanding of fundamental material characterization techniques and systems engineering
- Familiarity with Arbin Instruments, Density Functional Theory, Excel VBA, and SQL
The BIC offers a phenomenal work environment and culture, with competitive compensation and benefits. This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job, and is not a complete list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities, and benefits associated with the position.
BIC is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to EEO being the law, it is a policy that is fully consistent with BIC’s principles. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy, or age. BIC prohibits any form of workplace harassment.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com